Going on big, long vacations is wonderful, but there’s something to be said about a quick weekend trip. Since they are generally less expensive, you can take more of them throughout the year which gives you more events to look forward to and get excited about. After all, isn’t the anticipation of a trip almost as fun as the vacation itself?
Growing up in Ohio, I spent many weekends on Kelleys Island. With a population of less than 350 people, you feel as though you’re in another world the second you step off the ferry and on the island. Everything is a little bit slower and more carefree up there.
At just a four hour drive from Chicago, I’ve already planned my first weekend trip for this year and created a list of what I’m planning to bring with me.
- Bikini top and bottoms: For the last eight summers, I’ve worn some variation of a basic black bikini. This swimsuit from J. Crew falls under the swimsuit requirements that I apparently have, but the scalloped edges give it a fun, vintage vibe.
- Chambray cotton-linen romper: When I’m on vacation, the last thing I want to think about is styling an outfit. A romper is a one-piece garment that is quick and simple to throw on. It also allows me to easily go on bike rides or hikes, which are things that wouldn’t be as comfortable to do in the other one-piece option; a dress.
- Drawstring bucket bag: This bag can fit my wallet, book and towel and ties shut so I don’t have to worry about anything falling out during bike rides – it’s perfect.
- Water bottle: I try to drink at least three bottles of water a day, which is actually pretty easy to do when I’m in my normal routine. But while on vacation, I’m more likely to order a cold beer or a refreshing cocktail, and remembering to drink water falls way down on my priority list. Carrying a bottle of water with me all day is the little reminder I need to keep hydrated.
- Sunglasses: Any glasses that make me feel like Jackie Kennedy are a win in my book.
- Face mist: This refreshing mist is exactly what my skin is craving after a long day of sun and wind. It’s light, fresh and leaves my skin toned and glowing. Plus the subtle rose scent is slightly addicting.
- Slide sandals: These simple sandals are the perfect no-fuss shoe. Similar to my reluctance to style an outfit, I also don’t want to waste time buckling or tying shoes just to get out the door.
- A good book: Ever since I watched the first episode when it came out on Hulu last month, I have been obsessed with The Handmaid’s Tale. I devour any interview clip, episode preview or article review I can get my hands on between episodes each week. So it’s no surprise that I’ve been dying to read the book that the television series is based on.